Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Making fabric covers for your tools

Hello,
I received an email from a lady who was interested in knowing how I cover my machines.  Well I'll tell you the same thing I told her. I can barely work my way around a sewing machine. After making covers for all of my machines I figured out a way to make them quick and it's really quit simple.  The fabric I'm using is a heavy weigh cotton fabric I bought at Hancock's fabrics. It was a clearance bolt. I paid $3.50 a yard. I believe I bought 6 yards of it. I've been able to make covers for all of my machines and curtains and still have a bit left over. Not much.  I wish I knew where I could purchase more because I love this fabric and it will be a shame when I run out.

I made a picture tutorial and I'll explain my process of how I make the covers. Like I said I'm not very good at the sewing machine but having the animals running around my scrap room specially the cats I needed to make something to cover them up so that they don't get jammed up with cat hair. I had to take the pics with my iPhone. Sorry if they're not the best, but if you read my post yesterday you know I'm having all sorts of camera issues.

Tutorial:

The first thing I do is I lay the fabric over the machine, I tuck it under and cut giving myself about an extra inch all the way around. I like to do the whole cover inside out. I find it easier.

Using pins I then trace the outline of the machine.

Slowly and carefully I do a straight stitch with my sewing machine. I follow the contour of the pins.

Trim off excess fabric.

Fold up all the bottom edges and secure with pins.

Do a straight stitch all the way around and cut off the excess.

Turn the cover right side out and you're done!!


I keep my covers very simple, but with the remnants you could die cut some flowers and add them to your front cover to jazz them up a bit. I'm conserving as much of the fabric as possible until I find more so I don't do that.  I save all my scraps in the event that I have to end up sewing them all together to make a small cover for something. 

I hope this gives you some ideas. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks for stopping by:
Yar!tza

4 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering the same! ;)
    That actually, that wd be my approach as well! Wonderful print. ~terry (littlebirdie)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this! I love the fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete